Tuesday, December 6, 2011

The Search Begins

The time has finally come to bring a new member into the family. I finally researching and have decided that a Corgi would be a welcome member to the household. I've always been a pet owner. Mostly rescues and a wondrous Border Collie named Kingsey. Once life got hectic that had to end and Kingsey remained with my grandparents until he passed away this year. Now that I've settled in, it's time. I've always had a thing for Corgi's. There was one in the pen next to Kingsey's when my sis and I picked him up over a decade ago and I've always remembered those adorable short little legs of theirs. Being rather vertically challenged myself, I've felt a sort of connection with them.

When I started researching how to adopt a puppy, I was astounded at how little I knew. I had always had dogs and felt that I had a pretty good understanding of what it took to be an owner. How wrong I was! I had always been a fan of stopping by the local pet stores and watching the puppies in the window. I had no idea about puppy mills or the dangers of adopting a puppy from a store, both for the owner and the dog. My heart sinks a little everytime I see a pet store now.

Once I started searching and inquiring about breeders, I knew this was going to be no meager task. Being the obsessive organizer I am, I quickly created an excel file of potential breeders, their locations, whether I had made contact and if they had replied. It was more daunting than I imagined. A couple hours later I was done and now I've started getting responses. Hopefully, someone will come along soon who is up to standard and will have puppies in the relative timeframe of a spring pickup.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment